Students at Patrick Studios need to be enrolled in a registered educational provider. Students at Patrick Studios Academy have previously been enrolled with Distance Education Centre Victoria (DECV) who are able to provide for the full educational needs for the student. The DECV is a registered Victorian Government School that delivers the same curriculum as regular school settings including the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE). DECV is widely used across Australia for talented students who have decided to invest in supplementary studies and/or training because of its flexibility and online access.
Distance education is very different from classroom learning. For example, when you study with the DECV:
- You can choose your time and place to study. However, you may be required to attend some seminars or practical sessions depending on your choice of subjects. The Academy allocates a total of 4 hours a day to academic study.
- To get the most out of your learning program you will be required to use the online environment as there are online classes for most subjects.
- There is an expectation that you will collaborate through the online environment with other students in your classes.
- You will have access to a range of online material, DVDs, Twitter, Skype, emails as well as other specially designed learning materials.
- Text and reference books are required for most subjects.
Distance education allows students the flexibility to participate in industry, work and training whilst studying. The Distance Education Centre Victoria operates as the sole academic provider to the educational aspect of this program and function as an entirely separate provider. It is important to check the enrolment guidelines on the DECV website www.distance.vic.edu.au
At the studios, our onsite registered teachers are trained and experienced across a range of specialist subjects and are there to supervise and support the student’s program. They provide face-to-face assistance to our students and ensure the academic work is completed in accordance to the rules set by the VCAA and the DECV.
The performing arts program that completes the curriculum includes training in music, drama, ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, acrobatics, acting and music theatre. Students are also enrolled into our comprehensive ‘body conditioning’ program that includes compulsory pilates training.
Patrick Studios Academy allows every student the opportunity to succeed both academically and in performance. Our students are offered a unique creative environment that supports and promotes their talents. Students receive intense training from some of Australia’s most outstanding industry practitioners, coupled with solid academic learning.
Currently in the State of Victoria there is no training institution that offers a program like ours. As opposed to having students focus on one particular discipline we train all those at the Academy to be skilled in all facets of the performing arts industry. Upon completion, students have a broad range of skills to give them a head start in our full-time performing arts or musical theatre courses.